Florida swimming continues to shine on Day 5 of SEC Championships

The Gators men’s and women’s teams sit in first place with 1,198.5 and 1,051.5 points

<p>Florida&#x27;s swimming and diving program competed last week in the NCAA National Championships, finishing in 13th place.</p>

Florida's swimming and diving program competed last week in the NCAA National Championships, finishing in 13th place.

The Gators men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams continued their strong SEC performances, claiming five gold, two silver and one bronze on Day 5 of the SEC Championships. 

In the women’s 200-yard butterfly, freshman Bella Sims claimed the first of multiple golds of the night. She finished the event in 1 minute, 51.45 seconds to set a new program record.

Senior Isabel Ivey secured first in the women’s 100 backstroke with a time of 50.40 seconds, setting a new program record. 

Freshman Jonny Marshall set the program’s new record in the men’s 100 backstroke, finishing the event in 44.12 seconds to place first. Senior Adam Chaney followed in second with a time of 44.87 seconds. 

In the men’s 100 breaststroke, sophomore Aleksas Savickas secured first place with a time of 51.01 seconds while junior Julian Smith took bronze with a time of 51.26 seconds. Savickas recorded the third-best time in program history while Smith recorded the fourth-best time. 

Freshman Conor Gesing placed seventh in the men’s platform dive with a score of 321.90 points following a strong fourth-place performance in the preliminaries. Senior Skip Donald placed fourth in the men's platform B final with a score of 329.00 points.

For the women's 400 medley relay, Florida’s team of Sims, Molly Mayne, Peoples and Ivey placed second with a time of 3:25.16. Sophomore Joshua Liendo, junior Macguire McDuff, Marshall and Savickas finished the men’s event in 3:00.49, swimming the second-fastest time in the program. 

Saturday, Florida will compete in the women’s and men’s 200 back, 100 free, 200 breast and women’s platform diving. 

The women’s 200 back preliminaries, the first event,  is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m. The meet can be streamed on SEC Network+.

Contact Shaine Davison at sdavison@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @shainedavison.