The Florida Gators lacrosse team celebrates its 22-2 win in its exhibition match against the Scotland National Team, Feb. 14, 2024.

The Gators lacrosse team (0-1) dominated the Scotland National Team 22-2 in an exhibition match. This was UF’s home opener, as well. 

Florida maintained a dominant presence on the field throughout the four quarters, keeping possession of the ball for most of the game. The Gators stayed on top of draws, scoring 15 goals to shut Scotland out in the first half.

Scotland didn’t have a single shot on goal by the end of the first two quarters. 

Sophomore attacker Gianna Monaco had a hot first half, scoring four goals. Graduate student midfielder Sarah Falk also tallied four goals. 

Graduate student midfielder Emily Heller had two goals in the first half. 

The Gators cleaned up their fouls on Wednesday after committing 12 penalties in their season opener on Saturday. 

Scotland’s captain Chess Gray scored the first goal of the second half to put the visitors on the scoreboard. However, Florida responded immediately with another goal.

The Gators slowed down after halftime and ran the clock out. They only scored seven points in the second half and gave up two goals to Scotland. 

In the third quarter, Hannah Whiteley scored the second goal for Scotland.

By the end of the game, the Gators had 33 shots on goal, and Scotland had 10. 

Freshman midfielder Gabbi Koury and freshman midfielder Cate Issacson recorded their first collegiate goals. 

Next, the Gators will travel to Chapel Hill to face the No. 6 North Carolina Tar Heels on  Saturday at 11 a.m. 

Contact Lacey Rogers at lrogers@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @laceyyrog.

Lacey Rogers

Lacey Rogers is a third-year journalism major and sports reporter for The Alligator. She is a huge Washington Capitals fan and hopes to work for them after she finishes school.