Florida lacrosse makes clean sweep on West Coast

The Gators took down San Diego State 23-5 to claim a five-game winning streak

The Florida lacrosse team celebrates a goal in the Gators' 17-8 win against the Michigan Wolverines Sunday, Feb. 12, 2023

The No. 11 Florida lacrosse team (5-2) wrapped up its West Coast adventure with a bow on top after taking down the San Diego State Aztecs (1-5) 23-5, Friday. The win marks a five-game winning streak for the Gators and a five-game losing streak for the Aztecs. 

Florida’s 18-point advantage is the largest win margin it has held this regular season.

UF’s senior attacker Maggi Hall threw her 95th assist during the contest. She earned the new program record-holder of career assists title and finished the game with two goals and five assists. 

Sixteen different Gators had goals against San Diego. 

Florida’s senior midfielder Madison Waters set the tone with back-to-back goals in the first minute of the game. She scored her third goal in the second quarter for a hat trick. 

Gators sophomore attacker Gianna Monaco also had a hat trick, scoring once in the first quarter and twice in the second. This is her second career hat trick. Her first came from Sunday’s game against Arizona State. 

Sophomore midfielder Carly Wilson scored her first career goal for the Gators in the fourth quarter. 

Gators redshirt junior midfielder Jackie Norsworthy and sophomore midfielder Kaitlyn Davies put up their first points of the season with one goal each. 

Florida outshot the Aztecs 37-15 throughout the game. Gator goalkeepers, senior Georgia Hoey and redshirt sophomore Elyse Finnelle put up save percentages of .600 or above. 

Next, the Gators put their away jerseys to rest and return home to face the No. 21 Princeton Tigers (3-2) in Gainesville on Wednesday at 1 p.m.

Contact Lacey Rogers at lrogers@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @laceyyrog.

Lacey Rogers

Lacey Rogers is a third-year journalism major and sports reporter for The Alligator. She is a huge Washington Capitals fan and hopes to work for them after she finishes school.