Florida softball cruises past Indiana 10-0

The Gators hit two home runs to secure their 20th run-rule victory of the season

Gators softball sophomore catcher Jocelyn Erickson in her swinging motion during the team's 10-0 win over the Indiana Hoosiers on Sunday, March 17, 2024.

The Florida softball team continued its offensive dominance Sunday against Indiana. After defeating the Hoosiers 10-4 Saturday, the Gators recorded 10 runs on nine hits in five innings Sunday.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Ava Brown was in control in the circle and shined in the contest.

In the fourth inning, she stepped up to the plate with the bases loaded. On her second pitch, Brown helped herself out and smashed a pitch down the left-field line to extend the lead to 10-0. The three-run double put the Gators in familiar run-rule territory.

The No.10 Gators (25-4, 2-1 SEC) defeated Indiana (21-6) 10-0 Sunday at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

UF junior left-fielder Korbe Otis recorded three RBIs in Saturday’s matchup and continued her success Sunday. In the bottom of the first inning, Otis smashed a line drive to center field to bring junior center fielder Kendra Falby home for the game's first run. 

Florida recorded two home runs in the contest. Junior infielder Reagan Walsh blasted her ninth home run of the season to extend the early lead to 2-0. To start the Gators in the third, sophomore catcher Jocelyn Erickson added two runs with her fifth home run of the season.

Walsh drove in a pair to extend the lead to 6-0 in the bottom of the third. She smashed a middle fastball down the left field foul line to secure a double.

Florida fell into trouble in the top of the fourth as Indiana moved base runners in scoring position on a wild pitch. Despite the Hoosiers loading the bases, Brown forced an infield ground out to end the frame.

In the fifth inning, Brown forced a fly out to secure a complete-game, three-hit shutout. 

Next, the Gators will hit the road to face the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles Wednesday. First pitch is set for 5 p.m.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst.

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.