Florida softball crushes Mercer, earns 19th run-rule win

The Gators defeated the Bears 10-2

Florida softball huddles up during the Gators' 8-7 win over Georgia Saturday, April 15, 2023.

Despite the Florida softball team trailing the Mercer Bears early on in its Friday game, the Gators bounced back and put up 10 runs on seven hits.

Freshman third baseman Ariel Kowalewski shined in the contest, delivering five RBIs on two hits.

With two outs in the bottom of the sixth, Kowalewski ripped a two-run double to center field to extend the lead to 8-2.

As a pinch hitter, freshman Alyssa Hovermale stepped up to the batter's box with the bases loaded. On the third pitch, Hovermale singled to left field to secure the run-rule victory. 

The No.10 Gators (23-4, 2-1 SEC) defeated Mercer (9-13) 10-2 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Keagan Rothrock started in the circle for the Gators. However, she ran into rare first inning trouble. Mercer junior third baseman Tori Hedgehock smashed an off-speed pitch to left-center field for a two-run homer, putting the Bears up 2-0.

However, Rothrock settled down and held Mercer scoreless over the next five innings.

In the bottom of the first, UF junior left fielder Korbe Otis cut the lead in half with a double down the left field line to score redshirt senior shortstop Skylar Wallace. 

Then, Kowalewski scored senior right fielder Katie Kistler on an RBI groundout to tie the game 2-2 in the bottom of the second.

The Bears escaped out of a bases-loaded jam in the third inning after sophomore pitcher Grace Taylor forced a fly out to end the frame.

Florida fell into trouble in the top of the fifth as Mercer had the opportunity to move runners with bases loaded and one out. After the infield took a visit to the circle, Rothrock delivered a strikeout and forced an infield pop-up to leave bases loaded.

With two outs in the fifth, Kowalewski smashed a two-run home run to center field. Her teammates met her at home plate to celebrate her third home run of the season.

Rothrock finished with 11 strikeouts and five walks in six innings pitched.

Next, the Gators will host the Indiana Hoosiers in a two-game series. Game 1 is at 2:30 p.m.  Saturday.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst.

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.