Gators women’s golf falls in home tournament

The Florida women’s golf team earned third place in the Gators Invitational

Florida junior golfer Sarunchana Rattanasin records her score after finishing up a hole at the Gators Invitational on Friday, March 1, 2024.

Despite having the No. 1-ranked player in the country, senior Maisie Filler, the Gators women’s golf team failed to capture a victory in the Gators Invitational at Mark Bostick Golf Course. Florida earned third place in the tournament with a total score of 852 (12-over-par) through 54 holes. 

The weather was not cooperating with the tournament, even before the first tee; the tournament was moved one day up to avoid thunderstorms.

Sixteen holes into the final round, the lightning siren went off. All play was stopped and all players and spectators were forced to take shelter in the clubhouse. After an hour-and-a-half delay, play restarted. 

The first round of play began Friday morning. A handful of bogeys and two double bogeys landed the Gators with a score of 285. Freshman Paula Francisco, junior Sarunchana Rattanasin and Filler shot even par. 

Round 2 was the strongest for Florida. It started Friday afternoon but was suspended for darkness. It continued Saturday morning, and the round was the lowest scoring of the three. After shooting a total of 282, Florida recorded three strokes less than its other two rounds. 

The second half of Round 2, played on Saturday, began with warm temperatures and humid air. Fifth-year Jackie Lucena and Francisco shot even par in Round 2. 

Round 3 began with a shotgun start immediately after the conclusion of the second round. Filler proved her worth as the No. 1-ranked player in the nation with five birdies, shooting a round of 66 and four-under-par.  

Filler’s Round 3 performance was enough to earn her third place on the individual leaderboard with a total score of 207 (3-under-par).

Arizona took the title in the 52nd Gators Invitational with a combined 832 (8-under-par). 

Next, Florida golf will head to the College of Charleston to compete in the Briar’s Creek Invitational March 11-12. 

Contact Emma DiNicola at edinicola@alligator.org. Follow her on twitter @emdinicolaUF.