UF implements early action starting Fall ‘24

Prospective students who apply Nov. 1, 2024 will receive admission results Jan. 24, 2025

UF will adopt an early action plan to the admission process, UF President Ben Sasse announced this morning.

Starting in Fall 2024, potential first-year students who submit all required application materials by Nov. 1 will be notified of their admissions status Jan. 24, 2025. 

Unlike early decision, early action allows applicants to receive an early response without having to commit until the designated reply date.

“We expect this strategy to help attract more of the nation’s very best students to UF and also help reduce stress for aspiring Gators and their families by giving them more time to prepare for their time at UF,” Maya Parker, the vice president of UF’s Division of Enrollment Management, wrote in an email to faculty.

Prospective first-year students will still have the option to submit regular decision applications, with notification of their decision outcomes scheduled for March 14, 2025.

Updates to the Office of Admissions website will be made in the coming weeks to provide more information on these new timelines and processes. High school counselors and community partners will also receive as much information as possible to advise rising seniors.

“The University of Florida draws elite students, and this initiative is an important opportunity for our university and our students,” Sasse said in the announcement. “Not only will it help UF attract the best minds, but it will also identify and reward students who are bold enough and determined enough to challenge themselves here in our rigorous academic environment.”

Contact Annie Wang at awang@alligator.org. Follow her on X @wynwg.

Annie Wang

Annie Wang is a first-year journalism major and a University General Assignment writer for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys reading and writing reviews on Goodreads.