Florida earns verbal commitment from four-star guard Alex Lloyd

Lloyd is a top-50 ranked player nationally in the 2025 class out of Westminster Academy in Fort Lauderdale

Florida head coach Todd Golden stands on the court during the Gators' practice the day before their Southeastern Conference tournament game Wednesday, March 8, 2023.

The Florida men’s basketball team added a valuable piece to its future backcourt, Wednesday.

Head coach Todd Golden earned a verbal commitment from 2025 four-star point guard Alex Lloyd out of Westminster Academy in Fort Lauderdale. He announced he will be staying home to don the Orange and Blue according to 247Sports.

The 6-foot-3 prospect finished out his sophomore season in 2023 ranked as the No. 78 player nationally during last season’s recruiting cycles. However, his stock rose exponentially throughout his junior year as Lloyd now stands as the 46th-ranked prospect nationally and No. 6 in Florida.

The shifty point guard’s style of play is known for pushing the tempo offensively in transition while showing the ability to score the ball at all three levels. This will perhaps fit perfectly with the fast-paced style of play that Golden wants his team to play offensively. The Gators are coming off of their highest scoring offensive season in program history at 85.6 points per game.

Lloyd had a sensational season at Westminster Academy in 2023-24 where he averaged 19.4 points, 4.7 rebounds and three assists per game. He also showed the ability to defend at a high level, averaging two steals and just under one block per game at Westminster as a junior.

The commitment could be a strong building block for Florida’s 2025 recruiting class that has not yet earned a single pledge from a high school prospect prior to Lloyd’s. 

Contact Max at mtucker@alligator.org. Follow him on X @Max_Tuckr1. 

Max Tucker

Max Tucker is a junior transfer student at UF. After obtaining his A.A. in Journalism from Santa Fe College in 2023, he chose further his education at Florida's College of Journalism and Communications. Max is currently pursuing his Bachelor of Science in Journalism with a specialization in sports and media. He enjoys golfing and going to the beach with his friends in his free time. Max will be covering the Gators Golf teams this Fall for The Alligator.