Gators men’s basketball gets first offseason transfer in Chattanooga’s Sam Alexis

The forward from Apopka, Florida, averaged 10.8 points per game last season

<p>Florida head coach Todd Golden watches his team in practice at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee Wednesday, March 8, 2023. </p>

Florida head coach Todd Golden watches his team in practice at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee Wednesday, March 8, 2023.

Former University of Tennessee at Chattanooga forward Sam Alexis announced on his Instagram page he’s transferring to the University of Florida. 

He marks the first transfer head coach Todd Godlen received during the offseason.  

The 6-foot-9 forward averaged 10.8 points, 9.1 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game last season and started 32 out of 33 games. 

Alexis was named to the All-Southern Conference Third Team and the All-Southern Conference Defensive Team and shot 55.0% from the field. 

The Apopka, Florida, native has two years of eligibility remaining. He recorded nine double-doubles and had 20 games where he scored in double-digits. Additionally, he had 13 games with double-digit rebounds, including four with 15 or more boards. 

Alexis will have the chance to fill the role of forward Tyrese Samuel, who played his final season with the Gators this year. 

Contact Bennett Solomon at bsolomon@alligator.org. Follow him on X @B_Soly11.