Florida drops fifth consecutive series in loss to Tennessee

The Gators haven’t won a series since March 31

Florida baseball first baseman Jac Caglianone stares the pitcher down in the team's opening night loss to St. John's University on Friday, February 16, 2024.

If there was any hope left for the Gators’ 2024 season, it ended in the sixth inning Saturday night.

Florida (24-23, 10-14 SEC) led 3-2 against the No. 3 Tennessee Volunteers (39-9, 17-7 SEC), and southpaw Jac Caglianone was on a roll. But after giving up a leadoff walk and a double, head coach Kevin O’Sullivan made his call to the bullpen.

The game only got worse thereon out for Florida.

Gators relievers Ryan Slater and Cade Fisher surrendered a combined 11 runs in the sixth inning. Tennessee  added three more runs in the seventh inning and run-ruled the Florida Gators  16-3 Saturday at Condron Family Ballpark.

“This team has been a difficult one to figure out,” O’Sullivan said. “We have the ability to play with anybody, and then we have the ability to play like this.”

For the first time this season, the Gators lost with Caglianone on the mound. The two-way player has been one of the lone positives in Florida’s miserable season but performed below his standards Saturday.

In the fourth inning, Caglianone surrendered a two-run double. After putting two runners on in the sixth, he was taken out for Slater. Both runs scored, and Caglianone finished the night charged with four earned runs and his first loss of the season.

“We just couldn’t stop the bleeding,” O’Sullivan said. 

Pitching has been an issue all season for the Gators. 

Slater, who was one of the premiere arms out of Florida’s bullpen during its 2024 College World Series run, has taken a significant step back.

In his last nine appearances, he’s given up 18 runs across 12 innings. On Saturday, the right-hander recorded only one out and surrendered three runs on three hits.

Fisher struggled just as much.

After beginning the season as Florida’s Friday night ace, the southpaw moved back to the bullpen, reprising his role from last season.

Despite the move, Fisher’s struggles haven’t changed much.

The sophomore left-hander’s ERA hasn’t dipped below 6.00 once this season. On Saturday, Fisher recorded just two outs and surrendered six runs on six hits and two walks.

Florida has seen step-ups from a pair of relievers in Jake Clemente and Fisher Jameson. However, it hasn’t been enough to make the team a winning ballclub.

“We’ve tried to push every button,” O’Sullivan said. “And for whatever reason, this team has not been able to figure out or respond.”

The Gators have lost five weekend series in a row and will look to get back on track against the South Florida Bulls at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Condron Family Ballpark. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network+.

Contact Luke Adragna at ladragna@alligator.org. Follow him on X @lukeadrag.

Luke Adragna

Luke Adragna is a third-year journalism student and the Florida Gators football reporter at The Alligator. He is a cat ethusiast and completes the NYT Daily Mini in less than a minute each day.