Saturday, July 27, 2024

Gators shortstop Skylar Wallace joins Athletes Unlimited

Wallace was the sixth selection in the 2024 College Draft

Gators softball redshirt senior Skylar Wallace comes through the ball in the team's loss to Oklahoma State on Monday, February 19, 2024.

Florida softball redshirt senior shortstop Skylar Wallace was selected as the sixth selection by Athletes Unlimited in the College Draft for Pro Softball Tuesday evening. Ahead of the first round of the Gainesville Regional Friday, Wallace has decided to take her talents into a professional setting.  

The shortstop has had a stellar season, averaging a hitting average of .399 through the 2024 season and an overall .408 percentage. 

Her talents helped pave the way for the Gators’ success in the SEC tournament. Wallace secured her season high of home runs against Missouri May 11 in the SEC Championship. She previously notched her 12th home run May 10 against Texas A&M which contributed to UF’s 7-3 victory. 

Against the Aggies, she also extended her hit-streak out to seven games when she recorded a single to center field in the first inning. As of now, her longest streak of the season stands at eight games. During the SEC tournament, she also claimed a season high of hits with three in the quarterfinals against Georgia. 

Throughout her career, she gained many notables, including 2023 SEC Player of the Year and 2023 National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Player of the Year. Wallace is also  a current nominee for the SEC All-Tournament Team Selections MVP. 

Wallace will display her talents next in the Gators’ run in the NCAA Regional series against Florida Gulf Coast, Friday 12 p.m. in the Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. The game can be streamed on the SEC Network. 

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr at abritton-harr@alligator.org. Follow her on X @abrittonharr

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.