Education updates generic

Alachua County Public Schools has reported more than 200 COVID-19 cases since the start of the school year. 

Since last Friday, 18 more student cases were reported, bringing the total to 143, according to ACPS’ COVID-19 dashboard. Sixteen more staff cases were also reported, totalling 86. There are 63 active cases, with 20 in elementary schools, nine in middle schools, 29 in high schools, five in school centers and three in the district administration. 

There are currently four classes at Newberry and Gainesville High Schools, A. Quinn Jones Center and Shell Elementary School that are quarantined for COVID-19, said ACPS spokesperson Jackie Johnson. The dashboard shows 185 people are in quarantine. Because middle and high schools follow different schedules, students would only need to quarantine if a student from their class period tested positive for the virus, she added. 

“We do not have quarantine counts by school,” Johnson wrote in an email. “Students and employees come and go every day depending on when they were exposed, when and if they got tested, whether that test was positive or negative, etc.”

At least 10 of the active student cases across the school district are related to sports, Johnson added.

The COVID-19 outbreak at Gainesville High School continued to grow, with 12 student and 6 staff cases. The school has the highest number of active cases. 

Buchholz has three confirmed student cases. Eastside has three staff cases. Newberry has three student cases and two staff cases.

Sidney Lanier Center has a staff case. A. Quinn Jones has three staff cases and a student case.

In ACPS’ middle schools, there is a staff case at Howard Bishop, three staff cases at Kanapaha and a staff case at Lincoln. There are also four student cases at Lincoln. 

For elementary schools, there is a student case at Glen Springs, Meadowbrook, Metcalfe and Shell. There is a staff case each at Hidden Oak, Idylwild, Littlewood, Metcalfe, Talbot and Wiles. There are two staff cases at Terwilliger and eight student cases at Idylwild. 

District departments have three staff cases.