UF's Fall semester will begin a week later than initially planned due to COVID-19.

Provost Joe Glover and Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Charlie Lane alerted university employees in an email Friday that the Board of Trustees approved moving the first day of the Fall semester from Aug. 24 to Aug. 31. Glover and Lane wrote that the date change will “provide more time for the campus to prepare for the return on students.”

The email noted that UF will see a loss of about $42 million for the spring and summer semesters, with additional losses for other university entities and hospitals.

“These losses do not anticipate what might happen in the Fall, not what might happen to our state appropriation if economic activity and sales tax revenues continue to decline,” the email read.

The Board of Trustees also approved a cost-saving retirement incentive for employees, according to the email. The incentive will briefly reintroduce sick leave payment for technical, executive, administrative and managerial support staff who have served for 10 years or more. Eligible employees must retire on or before Sept. 30, 2020 and provide notice of retirement by June 30.

UF plans to announce more details for the Fall semester by mid-July, according to the email.

Contact Alyssa Feliciano at afeliciano@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter at @AlyssaShantelle