<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-dcd23623-7fff-485d-48b2-c486d7d10235"><span>The University Police Department will not be in charge of social distancing when Florida plays South Carolina in its first home game at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</span> <span>F</span><span>ans can use the Florida Gators app to report a social distancing violation in the stadium.</span></span></p>

The University Police Department will not be in charge of social distancing when Florida plays South Carolina in its first home game at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Fans can use the Florida Gators app to report a social distancing violation in the stadium.

For the 80th consecutive year, Ben Hill Griffin Stadium will welcome the Florida faithful into its concourses. 

However, for returning Gators fans, game days in Gainesville will look quite different. 

On Sept. 3, UF announced football games would be limited to roughly 20 percent capacity for spectators, meaning that 17,000 will be allowed in for next Saturday’s contest against South Carolina. The university also released an operational summary, providing more details on ticket collection, parking, restroom management and other aspects affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Many other contests in the state of Florida have faced criticism for their lax social distancing enforcement. Several high school football games have been attended by large and tightly packed groups of spectators. Even at the college level, Florida State faced criticism as fans failed to wear masks and maintain a proper distance.

These practices are prohibited in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Masks are required, and fans can only sit in every other row. Still, questions remain as to how the university will enforce these regulations. One group that will not be responsible for the application of these policies is the University Police.

“There will be police officers present at the game just like there normally would,” Lieutenant Scott Summers of the University Police Department, said. “Our role is largely the same as it has been. We aren’t in charge of maintaining social distancing.” 

Summers also stressed that fans should try to familiarize themselves with the operational summary for COVID-19 prevention and noted that fans can use the Florida Gators app to report a social distancing violation in the stadium.

Robert L. Cook, an epidemiology professor at UF, believes there are a few glaring oversights in the plan. 

“I think there are unclear penalties for violating the rules,” Cook said. “If people are drunk in the stadium or fighting they can be kicked out. The same should go for fans violating procedures.” 

He also said the policy for skybox seating was problematic, as the arrangements allow up to four people in an elevator at a time.

Cook called for the stadium to provide free masks for fans to use in the stadiums. Masks, especially disposable ones, are rather fragile. The elastic can break easily, which could lead to increased exposure to the virus.

Cook highlighted the opening of Disney World as an example of a large outdoor gathering that didn’t lead to outbreaks of COVID-19, meaning these sort of events are possible amidst a pandemic. 

“The most important thing is keeping space. Physical space drops the risk of an outbreak a lot,” he said.

Contact Declan Walsh at dwalsh@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @dawalsh_UF.