Alachua County reaches 133 COVID-19 cases; Florida climbs to 13,000 cases

<p>Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)</p>

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Alachua County has a total of 133 positive COVID-19 cases, with the Florida Department of Health confirming 10 additional cases today. 

According to a daily report from the department, the latest cases are all Florida residents:

• 86-year-old female 

• 56-year-old male 

• 58-year-old female

• 81-year-old female 

• 79-year-old male

• 40-year-old female

• 33-year-old male 

• 25-year-old male

• 38-year-old female 

• 20-year-old female

Under the ‘Florida Cases’ tab on the department of health’s dashboard, 16 hospitalizations are shown in the county. However, only 15 are displayed under the ‘Cases by County’ tab. The Alligator asked the department Sunday to explain this disparity in numbers, but it declined to give an answer. 

When asked about its plans to report on recovered cases, the department wrote in an email that they’re “looking forward to sharing more information regarding cases, including recovered cases, as it becomes available.”

No new cases have been reported at UF since Thursday, leaving the total at 30. 

While UF spokesperson Steve Orlando told The Alligator he’s not entirely sure about the reason for the recent drop in reported cases, he said it’s likely because students have returned home and most have been out of town for more than two weeks. 

Gainesville, which holds the most cases in Alachua County, reported a total of 99 this evening, according to the daily report. Meanwhile, Alachua has eight, Hawthorne has five, Newberry and High Springs have four, Micanopy and Tioga have two and La Crosse has one. 

As the nation braces for an anticipated surge of cases, Florida’s cases also continue to rise. The total reached 13,629 tonight with 254 deaths.

Contact Alex DeLuca at adeluca@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @alexldeluca. 

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)