Face masks running out in Gainesville

<p>Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)</p>

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

All Changhwa Hong wanted was to see his friends and family this summer. He daydreamed about exploring his hometown of Seoul, South Korea. 

But that changed with the coronavirus. 

When Hong, a 26-year-old UF mathematics, statistics and computer science senior, found out all the face masks in South Korea are being shipped to China from a news story he read, he made a split-second decision to sell his car. He plans to buy more than 500 masks with the $2,800.

“No one is walking in the street because they’re so scared about coronavirus, which is really sad,” he said. 

And Hong isn’t the only one who’s worried. All over Gainesville, students and residents are tracking the news to see where the illness is spreading. UF Health Shands Hospital is preparing for a possible local outbreak and experts are offering tips on how to avoid the illness.

Gainesville stores have been depleted of masks, according to John Lednicky, a research professor at UF’s environmental and global health department. He said it is not a bad idea to have masks on hand but does not recommend using them yet, so they can be available in case of an outbreak.

UF Health is prepared for any contingencies regarding an outbreak, and UF follows the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state department recommendations, Lednicky added. 

Lednicky has seen many students wearing masks with patterns that are often made of flimsy material. He said thicker ones, like the N95 mask, are more effective. 

“You think you’re doing yourself a favor by buying some of these products,” he said, “but they’re not really helpful.”

Lednicky said many people on campus are using their masks incorrectly; it should cover the nose and fit the face properly — anything else is risky.

There are no confirmed coronavirus cases in Florida, Lednicky said. 

Luke Han, an 18-year old UF nursing freshman, has stocked up on masks. He said he bought them after seeing how fast the coronavirus was spreading. 

Many Asian American communities are concerned about coronavirus because they, like him, have family in China, Han said. His mother came back from a business trip in the country three weeks ago, urging him to wash his hands and stay away from sick people.

Han said he has been washing his hands more and sanitizes keyboards and tables. He said he feels like UF is watching the coronavirus, but could have a better plan to control it if it comes to Florida. He’s concerned that hand sanitizer dispensers and wipes aren’t always stocked when he studies at Marston Science Library. 

“I just wish the university would do a better job stepping up on sanitation,” Han said.

Contact Stephany Matat at smatat@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @StephanyMatat.   

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)