Former UF football coach at center of controversy

Ohio State University’s head football coach Urban Meyer is currently on administrative leave for supposedly knowing about domestic violence committed in 2009 and 2015 by OSU assistant Zach Smith against his now ex-wife, Courtney.

Smith was fired from Ohio State in July.

Ohio State has conducted an investigation into Meyer and plans to conclude it within 14 days, according to a statement released Sunday night.

Ohio State fans rallied outside of the school’s football stadium Monday night, demanding the coach stay with the program.

Meyer admitted July 24 at Big Ten Media Days that he knew about the 2009 incident, which occurred while Smith was a graduate assistant under Meyer at UF, but denied knowing of such issues from 2015, which happened under his tenure at Ohio State.

“I don’t know who creates a story like that,” Meyer said.

A statement was released on Twitter on Friday, saying he failed to tell the truth at Big Ten Media Days.

Steve Addazio, head coach at Boston College and former assistant under Meyer at UF from 2005 to 2010, announced in a statement Saturday that he knew about problems between Smith and his ex-wife in 2009, but proceeded to hire him as a wide receivers coach at Temple University in 2011.

“As a husband, father and coach, I have zero tolerance for domestic abuse,” Addazio said. “There is no place in our program at Boston College for any member of our staff involved in domestic violence.”