Gainesville Regional Airport reaches new heights with passenger record

<p><span>The Gainesville Regional Airport has plans to continue a 15,200 square feet terminal expansion in order to accommodate the growing Gainesville population. The second phase of expansion is expected to begin fall 2019. The expansion will include two additional gates, a pet relief area, a lactation lounge, a chapel/reflection room and a play area for children. </span></p>

The Gainesville Regional Airport has plans to continue a 15,200 square feet terminal expansion in order to accommodate the growing Gainesville population. The second phase of expansion is expected to begin fall 2019. The expansion will include two additional gates, a pet relief area, a lactation lounge, a chapel/reflection room and a play area for children. 

Gainesville Regional Airport reached new heights in passenger records and last year had more than 500,000 passengers travel through the airport for the first time since records began in 1961.

In 2019, the airport had exactly 558,246 passengers fly in and out of the airport, an increase of slightly more than 17 percent in 2018. This increase then helps generate more revenue the airport administration can put back into projects like safety improvements such as runway lighting and they are also able to give employees more benefits they deserve, said Gainesville Regional Airport CEO Allan Penska. 

The airport has more passengers because flying out of Gainesville costs less and is simpler to do than to travel out of other nearby cities, said Erin Porter, manager of marketing and public relations at the airport.

“We know people have a choice where they fly out of,” Porter said. “Chances are, the fare out of Gainesville is going to look higher, but when you add in the cost of getting to Orlando or Tampa, it just doesn’t make sense.” 

Two new daily non-stop flights were added to Dallas Fort Worth International Airport, Penska said. TSA Precheck was also added for every flight, which has helped make security lines shorter, Penksa said.

Penksa expects there will be more passenger growth in 2020. But he’s unsure if there will be additional airlines or flights added this year. 

However, the airport’s administration will continue to meet with airlines to show them the airport’s passenger traffic and demographic data and consider the possibility of adding new flights the community wants, Penska said.

The airport also began construction of a 15,200-square-foot terminal expansion in November. It should be finished by 2022 and will have more restaurants, lactation rooms and electronic charging stations, Penksa said.

“We couldn’t do the things that we’re doing without increased revenue that comes from additional passengers,” Penksa said. “The more the community supports us, the more we’re able to put back to the airport.”

Contact Valentina Botero at vbotero@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @lvbotero_.