After two years of recruitment, house renovations, community service and advisement from its national headquarters, Delta Chi Fraternity was officially welcomed back to the UF campus.

The fraternity's national president, Steven Bossart, presented the UF chapter with a new charter at a banquet Saturday. U.S. Rep. John Mica, a UF Delta Chi alumnus, told about 160 attendees about his fraternity experiences. UF President Bernie Machen congratulated the group.

Joseph Janusz, president of UF's Delta Chi chapter and an industrial and systems engineering senior, said the fraternity began re-applying for its charter in spring 2006 after a 2001 suspension.

Delta Chi's national headquarters revoked the chapter's charter, and UF kicked the fraternity off campus after a stripper was hired for an unregistered party, according to Alligator archives.

The woman accused a fraternity member of rape, but the University Police Department eventually charged her with filing a false report.

To earn back its charter, the fraternity had to meet national requirements, such as participation in intramurals and philanthropies, and submit a petition of more than 100 pages, Janusz said.

In May 2007, he said Delta Chi regained its house. Members spent $100,000 renovating it during summer and moved back in this fall, he said.