Judge on UF Resident Assistant battery case removes himself from the case

<p>Ian Milaski</p>

Ian Milaski

The judge for former UF Resident Assistant Ian Milaski’s case is no longer presiding over it after releasing him from jail for being a “high-achieving” student. 

A recusal was filed for Judge Mark Moseley to be removed from the case Wednesday, following national attention, according to court records. Another judge replaced him Thursday. 

Judge Moseley declined to comment to The Alligator, citing pending litigation.

Moseley was a state prosecutor in Alachua before becoming a judge in 2004, according to court records. He has worked dozens of cases involving domestic violence, child abuse and sexual battery.

Milaski, a 21-year-old UF economics senior, will appear in court on Oct. 7 at the Alachua County Criminal Justice Center, according to court records. He previously was set for Oct. 10 until Moseley was recused.

Police arrested Milaski after he was accused of repeatedly asking a female student to have sex with him and trying to put his finger in her vagina against her will. 

He was later arrested and initially charged with simple battery and false imprisonment. Milaski’s case received national attention after a judge agreed to reduce his original bond of $125,000.

He remained in Alachua County Jail for two days as his lawyer, Ron Kozlowski, wrote a letter to the court pleading for his release that detailed Milaski’s need to help his parents for Hurricane Dorian and complete school assignments on time.

Moseley agreed with Kozlowski and ordered for Milaski’s release. 

This decision was made before the state attorney replaced his simple battery charge with attempted sexual battery without using force last Friday.

Ian Milaski