A Gainesville man was arrested Wednesday after he drove about 30 mph over the speed limit and told officers his behavior was inspired by watching “The Fast & the Furious.”

Jorge Alfredo Escarpita was driving south on SW 42nd Street in his Nissan 350Z at about 75 mph, according to the report.

The speed limit for that area is 45 mph.

Gainesville Police Officer Matthew Walters, who was driving a marked vehicle, blared his siren and flashed his lights at Escarpita and began chasing him.

Escarpita slowed to about 45 mph but continued driving through a four-way stop and another stop sign, according to the report.

He reached the Butler Plaza shopping center, according to the report, and he kept driving through the Target parking lot.

He finally came to a stop nearby.

Twenty-one-year-old Escarpita smelled strongly of alcohol, according to the report, and he propped himself against his car for balance.

His eyes were red and watery, according to the report, and he mumbled when he spoke.

He told the officer he’d had three beers and that he was driving recklessly because he’d watched “The Fast and the Furious.”

The officer asked him when he watched the movie, and at first, Escarpita said “Tomorrow.”

But he immediately changed his answer to “yesterday,” and then “last night.”

He refused to take both a field sobriety test and a breath test.

Escarpita was arrested at about 3 a.m. on charges of driving under the influence and attempting to elude a police officer.

He was booked into the Alachua County Jail.

He was later released.

Contact Kelcee Griffis at kgriffis@alligator.org.