Guide to constitutional amendments, local issues on ballot

Editor’s Note: This is the second of two articles that explain the constitutional and local amendments on Tuesday’s ballot.

Amendment 8 – Religious Freedom

Nonprofit organizations with religious ties currently provide services to citizens without financial help from the state, although they receive federal funds. Amendment 8 would add a constitutional base to prevent the state’s ability to deny funds based on religious affiliation.

Daniel Smith, a UF political science professor, said the language could lead to interpretations in favor of charter school vouchers.

But Sheila Hopkins, Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops associate director for social concerns/respect life, said the proposal isn’t about vouchers.

“It really applies to religious organizations providing secular services like food banks, substance abuse treatment or HIV counseling,” she said.

Tony Carvajal, the Collins Center for Public Policy’s chief operations officer, said if passed, the proposal would allow public funds to be distributed to organizations with religious roots as long as the services are available to everyone.

Amendment 9 – Homestead Property Tax Exemption for Surviving Spouse of Military Veteran or First Responder

This amendment proposes a full property tax exemption be given to living spouses of military veterans who died while on active duty and first responders who died on the job.

Carvajal said this exemption is already in place as a statute. Passage of this proposal would extend and solidify the benefit in the state’s constitution.

Amendment 10 – Tangible Personal Property Tax Exemption

This proposal would provide a $25,000 tax exemption to those who own property valued between $25,000 and $50,000. Businesses with lots of equipment or other goods are most affected by this proposed amendment. Household goods, money, motor vehicles, airplanes and boats don’t count, said Rodney Clouser, professor and associate chair of the UF Food and Resource Economics Department.

Although proponents claim it will help grow small businesses, Clouser said it’s also possible local taxes could be higher for those unaffected by the proposed amendment because exemptions would be tax revenue taken from localities.

Amendment 11 – Additional Homestead Exemption; Low-income Seniors Who Maintain Long-term Residency on Property; Equal to Assessed Value

Low-income seniors who have lived in the same house for more than 25 years would qualify for another property tax exemption under Amendment 11.

Carvajal said it would give local governments — not the state — power to regulate property taxes for seniors.

If passed, he said the proposed amendment permanently allows counties to provide the exemption and does not require that counties adopt the measure.

Amendment 12 – Appointment of Student Body President to Board of Governors of the State University System

This proposal would change how a student representative is selected for the Board of Governors, the body that oversees the Florida university system. Currently, the chair of the private organization Florida Student Association becomes the representative, said UF SG Director of External Affairs Billy Vranish.

The amendment, if passed, would mandate that the Board of Governors appoints the new student representative from one of the 11 universities’ Student Body presidents, he said.

Local Initiatives

Question 1: Fix our roads Alachua County: Funding road improvements by levying a three-fourths percent sales surtax

This proposal would create a 0.75 percent sales tax to fund road improvements in Alachua County.

Mark Sexton, Alachua County spokesman, said the surtax would generate $22 million annually and about $330 million over its 15-year lifespan. Everyone in Alachua County would pay the tax, which excludes groceries, property, rent or medicine. He said up to 30 percent of the tax revenue will be paid by visitors to Alachua County.

Question 2: Renewal of the existing one mil ad valorem tax for school district operating expenses

In the face of massive state budget cuts, the county added an extra tax to help fund the Alachua County School District. This item is asking voters if this tax should get renewed to keep funding the school district.

Smith, the political science professor, said after $1 billion in public education cuts from the state legislature last year, Alachua County needs to maintain this revenue stream.