crime
crime
Ryan LeBoss

LeBoss

A Lake City man remains in jail after he was accused of killing his girlfriend in a hit-and-run crash Saturday, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Witnesses reported seeing Ryan LeBoss, 44, driving a pickup truck on Interstate 75 near exit 399 in Alachua County at about 5 p.m. as his girlfriend, Eileen Bocca, was clinging onto the passenger door, according to a release from FHP. 

Bocca, 48, was dragged several hundred feet by the truck before being run over by its rear right tire, said FHP Lt. Patrick Riordan. She was transported to UF Health Shands Hospital where she was pronounced dead. 

Authorities don’t know if Bocca was pushed, jumped or fell out of the vehicle, Riordan said.

LeBoss fled the scene on southbound I-75, and was last seen exiting at the 390-mile marker exit onto 39th Avenue in an unknown direction, Riordan said. 

Riordan said authorities arrested LeBoss at about 1 or 2 a.m. Sunday at his home in Columbia County. He was compliant with authorities during the arrest.

Riordan credited the Alachua, Marion and Columbia County Sheriff’s offices for their assistance in the investigation and arrest. 

The incident came one day after FHP held a press conference for Florida Hit-and-Run Awareness Month and discussed the importance of staying at the scene of a crash.

“It was ironic that we had that press conference on Friday and this occurred the next day,” Riordan said.

He anticipates the investigation will be “long and thorough” and will take FHP at least 60 to 90 days to conduct. 

LeBoss is being held in Columbia County jail on charges of leaving the scene of a crash involving death with no bond. 

In 2008, LeBoss was accused of assaulting a police officer or firefighter and resisting arrest with violence in Miami, according to court records. 

Bocca, of Ocala, had aggravated battery charges pending in Citrus County, according to an arrest affidavit. The charges stemmed from a September incident where she was accused of stabbing her boyfriend. 

Her next court date was scheduled for March 12.

Contact Samia Lagmis at slagmis@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @SLagmis.