crime
crime

A Gainesville man was charged by Gainesville police for breaking into two homes and raping a woman early Tuesday morning.

Shortly after 6 a.m., Kashawn Jefferson, 22, entered a home on Northwest 12th Terrace through a back door. Inside, a woman was cooking breakfast for her two daughters. According to an arrest report, Jefferson snuck up behind the woman and covered her mouth, then attempted to drag her into the bedroom.

The woman broke free and screamed for help. A witness heard her and walked into the kitchen from outside and confronted Jefferson. Jefferson then fled the scene, according to the report.

The woman locked the door Jefferson came in through and called 911. While on the phone with dispatch, Jefferson returned and attempted to open the door again, according to the report. When he was unable to, he dropped his pants and began masturbating while staring at the woman through a window.

Jefferson was confronted by an officer nearby but ran away.

While law enforcement continued to search for Jefferson, he approached an apartment at Lux13 Apartments about half a mile away. He grabbed a package that was left at the front door and posed as a mailman to gain entrance into the apartment. A woman answered the door and Jefferson forced his way inside, according to the report.

Jefferson raped the woman and demanded money before he left with her debit card and $45 cash, according to the report.

Jefferson was located shortly after by police. Under questioning, Jefferson told police the woman didn’t say “no” loud enough to convince him she didn’t want to be raped. He was arrested for 12 charges including sexual battery, attempted sexual battery and unarmed robbery.

Jefferson remains in jail in lieu of a $2,495,000 bail. A message was left with his attorney, but The Alligator did not receive a response by the time of publishing.

Jefferson