President Donald Trump to hold campaign rally in Ocala on Friday

<p>President Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally at the Orlando Sanford International Airport Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, in Sanford, Fla.</p>

President Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally at the Orlando Sanford International Airport Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, in Sanford, Fla.

President Donald Trump is hosting a campaign rally in Ocala 13 days after testing positive for coronavirus and 11 days after leaving the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for treatment.

The Oct. 16 stop — which will come after consecutive negative coronavirus test results for the president — will be at the Ocala International Airport,1770 SW 60th Ave., according to the event page. The doors open at 1 p.m., and the rally starts at 4 p.m.

The event comes fresh off of another Trump appearance in Sanford, where the president spoke on Monday. The Trump campaign is keyed in on Florida, a state Trump won in 2016, headed into the November election. Vice President Mike Pence also campaigned in The Villages Saturday.

This is not the first time the Trump campaign set its course for North Central Florida. Donald Trump Jr. was scheduled to make an appearance at a Gainesville gun shop on Oct. 5. The event was canceled less than a day later, in the wake of the president’s positive test.

Trump will also travel to Macon, Georgia, on Friday evening for another campaign event.

Steven Walker

Steven Walker is the Fall 2021 Editor in Chief of The Alligator. He has previously worked at the Orlando Sentinel; and has bylines in the Miami Herald, Associated Press and Florida Times Union. In his free time, he likes to take long walks with his dog Luna and watch his favorite sports teams, the Orlando Magic and the Green Bay Packers.