Kat cammack.jpg

Kat Cammack, the Republican nominee to replace Ted Yoho in Congress, received President Donald Trump’s endorsement on Thursday evening.

In a tweet, the president gave Cammack his full support for Florida’s Third Congressional District, which represents Alachua County and five other counties. Cammack faces Adam Christensen, the 26-year-old Democratic nominee, in November’s general election.

The Alligator attempted to reach both Cammack and Christensen for comment, but neither responded in time for publication.

With incumbent congressman Ted Yoho retiring, the seat is up for grabs this November. On Aug. 18, Cammack won the Republican primary election over five other candidates, earning about 25% of votes. Christensen won the Democratic primary by less than a thousand votes, earning about 35% of votes.

Cammack accepted the endorsement from Trump, according to a statement. In the announcement, she said she aligned herself closely with the president and said she looked forward to joining his fight.

“I am proud to stand with President Trump and his grit as he leads our country,” Cammack wrote.

A Democrat has not held the district since 2010 when Corrine Brown won the seat. Yoho has held the seat since 2012. The Cook Partisan Voting Index rates the district as likely Republican with a score of R+9.

Cammack is lapping Christensen in the campaign finance arena. As of July 29, the Cammack campaign had about $500,000 in total receipts, while Christensen’s campaign received about $30,000.

Trump’s endorsements have had mixed results at the ballot box. In the 2018 midterm elections, Trump endorsed 17 primary candidates, of which only two lost. In the 2018 general election, the president endorsed 96 candidates, of which 56 won their election.

Cammack also replied to the president’s tweet and wrote that she’s ready to fight socialism, and stop “The Squad.” Cammack has repeatedly attacked “The Squad”, a self-given name of a group of Democratic congresswomen consisting of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib.

“Thank you Mr. President!” Cammack wrote in a tweet. “I’m ready to fight Socialism, stop The Squad, and save America. Let’s do this!” 

Contact Steven at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @swalker_7.

Staff Writer

Steven Walker is the 2020 national election reporter for The Alligator. He is a junior journalism major at UF, and in his first semester with The Alligator.