<p>Mackintosh Joachim</p>

Mackintosh Joachim

Mackintosh Joachim screamed when he was accepted into UF.

His dad kicked down his bedroom door with a baseball bat in hand.

“My father thought I was being robbed,” the 19-year-old UF finance and women’s studies sophomore said.

Joachim applied to UF against his parents’ wishes. They wanted him to stay close to West Palm Beach and attend Florida Atlantic University.

Joachim’s first semester, Summer B 2017, is his favorite memory. He said his Graham Hall floor had an open door policy in which everyone left their doors open so people could come in and chat.

Graham Hall also housed Joachim’s worst UF experience: the arrival of white nationalist Richard Spencer in Fall 2017.

“That day everyone locked their doors,” Joachim said.

Joachim, the son of Haitian immigrants, saw how black and brown folks were treated and became involved in Student Government as a senator for the Graham Area.

Joachim said he wants to create a better UF for his kids one day.

“I would like to make UF a place where every student can feel welcome and safe,” Joachim said.

During his freshman year campaign, Joachim met one of his best friends, Franceline Amissant.

“He’s the kindest person I’ve met on campus so far,” said Amissant, a 19-year-old UF nursing sophomore.

Amissant said she has seen Joachim run to the aid of someone having an asthma attack and explain the financial aid process to a student even when he has work, classes and organizations to look after.

Venecia Street said she sometimes has to bring Joachim Chick-fil-A when he works at the Graham Area desk because he forgets to eat.

“He’ll be on campus from 8 to 11 at night,” said Street, a 19-year-old UF health education and behavior sophomore.

Joachim has plenty to do, but he reserves Sundays for cooking. He wants to preserve the tradition he had with his mom, who died from cancer in November.

“I want to feel closer to her still,” Joachim said.

He remembers cooking with his mom after church and getting up at 2 a.m. to prepare Thanksgiving for the whole family. Jerk chicken, seafood and a pork dish called griot were in constant rotation.

When he announced he was running for Student Body treasurer, the first person he wanted to talk to was her.

Last year, he wanted to quit SG, but his mom texted him, “When you start something, you never quit it.”

He reads those texts often. He believes she would be proud.

Mackintosh Joachim