Tenth Annual TEDxUF sold out within 24 hours

<p>The lineup for the 2019 TEDxUF event, which is on April 6.</p>

The lineup for the 2019 TEDxUF event, which is on April 6.

TEDxUF will be celebrating the theme “Legacy” in honor of its 10th anniversary this year.

TEDxUF, an independently organized Technology, Entertainment and Design event, will take place from noon to 5 p.m. April 6 at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, said Laura Uribe, the TEDxUF curator and a 21-year-old UF political science senior.

The venue will seat up to 1,700 people, Uribe said. The event sold out.

There will be a Facebook livestream and a first-come, first-served standby line for those who didn’t register, she said.

Registration for the free event opened March 20 and was locked March 21 after hitting capacity, Uribe said. The budget for the event was about $48,750.

One of the 10 speakers will be Lisa Merlo-Greene, a UF psychiatry professor, Uribe said. She will discuss how students feel the need to overwork themselves.

“We’re really locked into this involvement culture that if we’re not busy and burnt out, we’re not being productive,” Uribe said. “Her talk is something that’s really going to change perspective.”

There will also be four performances, which aren’t yet announced, and about 12 labs, which are interactive exhibits, Uribe said.

Nathan Tan, a 19-year-old UF microbiology freshman, said the event is a way to expose students to ideas from the Gainesville community, he said.

“It shows that innovation is not just happening on UF campus, but also elsewhere in our community,” Tan said.