Tropical storm Michael threatens Florida

<p>The projected storm path as of about 10 p.m. on Sunday</p>

The projected storm path as of about 10 p.m. on Sunday

Florida Gov. Rick Scott issued a state of emergency for 26 counties Sunday night ahead of Tropical Storm Michael, which is expected to become a hurricane.

The storm developed east of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula Sunday afternoon, according to a weather update from the National Hurricane Center. The storm is expected to produce heavy rainfall and flash flooding over parts of Cuba and Mexico during the next couple of days.

As of 10 p.m. Sunday, the storm was forecast to become a hurricane either tonight or Tuesday night, according to the National Hurricane Center. 

The maximum sustained winds are about 60 miles per hour and are expected to strengthen over the week, according to the report.

The National Hurricane Center called Florida’s Gulf Coast vulnerable to a storm surge. 

Tony Hurt, a meteorologist from the National Weather Service branch in Tampa Bay, said Gainesville may see some minor effects. 

“Keep in mind that the rainfall threats can affect areas that aren’t directly in the storm.” Hurt said. “It can affect areas outside of it as well.”

UF is monitoring the storm but will not be canceling any classes or events, for the time being, UF spokesperson Steve Orlando said.

Contact Dana Cassidy at dcassidy@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @danacassidy_