UF launches new graduate program in Orlando for Fall

<p><span>This photo is an example of </span><span>themed environments design, which is what the new graduate program is working to create at Citylab-Orlando. </span><span></p><p></span></p>

This photo is an example of themed environments design, which is what the new graduate program is working to create at Citylab-Orlando. 

UF is launching a new master’s program this Fall that will bring students to Orlando for a reason other than the Magic Kingdom.

The UF College of Design, Construction and Planning is launching a new graduate program in the School of Architecture CityLab-Orlando that will teach creative architectural design for entertainment spaces from theme parks to museums, said Frank Bosworth, program director of Citylab-Orlando.

The new program was developed over the last year with extensive input from the industry and from Dean Chimay Anumba of the College of Design, Construction and Planning, said assistant director of Citylab-Orlando Stephen Bender.

The program will offer a 36-hour master’s degree in architectural studies with a concentration in themed environment integration, which focuses on spaces such as theme parks and cruise ships, costing students $27,000, Bender said. There will also be a 21-hour certificate option that will cost about $15,750.

There will be 10 spots available for the initial group of students, with application decisions being released in July, Bosworth said.

Due to the small size of the program, there will be a collaborative group of faculty members who will be working closely with the entering students in a hands-on approach, Bosworth said.

“Working together as a community towards a specific end product produces better results than the work that is currently being done by a group of siloed professions,” he said.

Steven Grant, who has worked with Walt Disney Imagineering for 28 years, will start as the program director on July 1, Bosworth said.

Bender said with Grant as the program director, he will be the face of the program while managing and teaching creative architecture design.

“An integrator is someone who can bring together teams to complete complex projects and support a clear vision,” Bender said.

According to Bender, Grant succeeded at Disney because he has many qualities of an integrator. Grant has brought together teams to support the worldwide build of creations for Disney for nearly three decades.

“Having Steven Grant on board adds greater depth and rigor to the courses and program,” Bender said. “His connections in the industry will benefit our students tremendously.”