<p><span>The door of Weaver Hall was broken late Monday night or Tuesday morning. University Police does not know who did it, and the department is investigating the case. </span></p>

The door of Weaver Hall was broken late Monday night or Tuesday morning. University Police does not know who did it, and the department is investigating the case. 

An unknown individual broke the main glass panel door of UF’s Weaver Hall between late Monday night and early Tuesday morning.

The incident has been characterized as a criminal mischief charge, said Maj. Brad Barber, a University Police spokesperson. 

“As with anytime anybody is engaged in an activity this major, if people become aware of something, they know to notify law enforcement immediately,” Barber said.

UPD was notified at 7:24 a.m. on Tuesday and is investigating the matter, he said.

UF Housing and Residence Education was informed at approximately 6 a.m. Tuesday and sent a maintenance team to Weaver Hall around 6:45 a.m. to cover the door with a wooden panel, said Sara Tanner, the department’s director of Student Affairs Marketing & Communications.

“It’s actually very odd that the door got broken because all of our doors are very, very strong and are able to withstand winds and hurricanes,” Tanner said. 

UF residence halls have multiple swipe-access security measures for people to get into their rooms that will continue to be in place while maintenance works to fix the door, she said. They do not have an estimate of when the door will be fixed.

Brianna Denson, an 18-year-old UF biomedical engineering freshman, lives at Weaver Hall and was awoken by the noise.

“During the middle of the night, I’m not sure what time it was, I did hear a crash but I thought it was probably someone on the floor messing around or having fun,” Denson said.

As she was leaving the building around 7:45 a.m., Denson saw shattered glass on the floor and two police officers outside the building, she said. 

Denson said she will be more comfortable when she hears what happened or whether they caught the perpetrator. 

“It’s kind of concerning because we don’t know the cause of it,” Denson said. “Knowing that no one really saw what happened or knew when it happened is kind of concerning because you don’t know if someone got in or what their intentions were.” 

Contact April Rubin at arubin@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @AprilMRubin.