UF Student Affairs executives leave following investigation

Two UF Student Affairs executives are no longer working for the university following a UF investigation launched last month.

UF ended Student Affairs Vice President David Parrott’s employment today, said UF spokesperson Steve Orlando. UF Student Affairs Assistant Vice President Norb Dunkel resigned around the same time.

The university initiated the investigation after an anonymous complaint in March alleged the student affairs group was improperly using funds.

parrott

Head shot of Dave Parrott from the Office of the Vice President team on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at J. Wayne Reitz Union in Gainesville , FL / UF Student Affairs photo by Chris Gomez.

Although the investigation found no misuse of state funds, it did find evidence of improper financial administration within Student Affairs, which resulted in this change in leadership, according to a statement by the university.

Orlando said he can’t comment any further than what’s provided in the statement.

dunkel

Head shots of the Housing and Residence Education team on Friday, August 4, 2017 at J. Wayne Reitz Union in Gainesville, FL / UF Student Affairs photo by Kyle Allport.

UF is now in the second phase of the investigation, which consists of an audit to review all aspects of Student Affairs’ financial accounting activities, the statement said.

UF Provost Joe Glover alerted the Student Affairs staff of the administration changes this morning through an email that The Alligator obtained, which stated the decision was made “to take leadership in the Division of Student Affairs in a different direction.” Orlando confirmed the email was sent to the staff.

Executive Chief of Staff Win Phillips will serve as interim Vice Presiden during this time, Orlando said. The division will also be co-led by a team of administrators.

“I would personally like to recognize how important you are to the University of Florida,” the email read. “Your great work is critical to the success of the entire university.”

Before his employment at UF, Parrott was the Executive Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Chief of Staff at Texas A&M University, according to UF’s website. He was also the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs at Western Michigan University.

Dunkel has been with UF since 1988 after he held administrative positions at South Dakota State University and the University of Northern Iowa, according to his profile on UF’s website. As of press time, UF took down the Dunkel’s bio, but a snapshot from June 2018 was obtained in a web archive.