UF freshman Gray Horn made history Friday night by winning the men's decathlon at the SEC Outdoor Championships on his home track.

"It hasn't sunk in yet, and I doubt it will sink in for a very long time," Horn said. "This is something I've dreamed about for my entire life."

This victory marks the first time UF has won the men's decathlon and also ends Tennessee's four-year winning streak in the event.

Horn went into the 1,500 meters, the final event of the decathlon, trailing Tennessee sophomore Michael Ayers by 61 points.

"I had a 230-point lead on him (Ayers), and then I completely choked in the javelin," Horn said. "Coach Holloway and my trainers have taught me to man up in these times."

The first five events of the men's decathlon were held Thursday at Percy Beard Track in James G. Pressly Stadium. Horn led Ayers by 57 points after competing in the 100-meter dash, the long jump, the shot put, the high jump and the 400 meters on Thursday.

Horn continued to increase his lead over Ayers after the 110-meter hurdles, the sixth event of the decathlon, on Friday. The distance in points between the two underclassmen grew until the ninth event of the decathlon: the javelin.

"I haven't picked up a javelin before this year," Horn said. "In Ohio, we don't do the javelin in high school. I can throw a football pretty well, but a javelin, not so much."

Horn fell to second place in the decathlon rankings after winning only 455 points in the javelin event. Ayers gained 732 points in the javelin to put him ahead of Horn by 61 points going into the 1,500 meters.

"This was the time to be a man, take all of my training and put it to work," Horn said. "I went into the event telling myself that there is nothing but me out there on the track."

After coming in second place in the 1,500 meters, Horn added 750 points to his final score after running the final event in 4:29.19. Ayers scored 666 points with a time of 4:42.32.

Ayers finished the decathlon with 7,366 points. Horn edged him out with 7,389 points. Georgia junior Tommy Barrineau came in third with 6,987 points, and Jager Livingston, who came in first place for the 1,500 meters, from Auburn finished in fourth with 6,628 points.

"During three-hour practices in this Florida heat, I wondered to myself why I was doing this," Horn said. "But then you get to days like this and realize, it is all worth it. It all paid off."