Dan Mullen
Dan Mullen

Offensive lineman Issiah Walker Jr. spent one semester at UF.

The freshman and 2020 Florida commit announced his transfer to Miami on Saturday after entering the portal on Monday.

Walker Jr., a four-star recruit out of Miami Norland High School, entered UF as an early enrollee in January after committing to the program on Oct. 5.

He was ranked the No. 15 tackle (No. 121 overall) in the 2020 recruiting class by 247Sports’ composite rankings and had the chance to compete for a starting job next season.

However, Walker Jr.’s climb to a starting spot wouldn’t have been without challenges. Offensive tackles Joshua Braun and Gerald Mincey, also members of Florida’s 2020 recruiting class, stood as stout competition for Miami’s newest lineman.

The 6-foot-4, 309 lb. athlete also had to beat out 2019 starters Stone Forsythe and Jean Delance for playing time in the trenches. Richard Gouraige and Michael Tarquin also threatened Walker Jr. 's chances of being plugged into Florida’s gameplans.

Walker Jr. announced his move on Twitter and said he was “coming home” to compete for the Hurricanes in the ACC. And while Walker Jr. most likely returned home for a clearer path to a starting role, Florida is left with less offensive line depth, an area of concern in 2019. 

Walker Jr.’s departure is yet another blow to UF’s recruiting class. Florida lost 2021 wide receiver Brashard Smith after the Miami Palmetto product decommitted from the program on May 1.

Follow Dylan at @dylanoshea24 and contact him at doshea@alligator.org.