Swain
Swain

Freddie Swain became the sixth UF player and the second Florida receiver to hear his name called at the NFL Draft this weekend when the Seattle Seahawks took him in the sixth round with the 214th pick.

A day after teammate Van Jefferson was selected by the Los Angeles Rams, Swain was the 33rd wide receiver taken in a crowded class.

In his final season with the Gators, Swain caught 38 passes for 517 yards, which nearly doubled his production from 2018, and seven touchdowns. His 2019 season was highlighted by a 64-yard touchdown early in the first quarter in the Gators’ win over Auburn.

He almost eclipsed 1,000 yards during his time at Florida while also scoring 15 touchdowns. Seattle could also take advantage of Swain’s special teams abilities, as he returned 39 punts for the Gators, including one for a touchdown against Colorado State in 2018.

The Seahawks now have two former Gators on their roster after drafting Swain and trading for Quinton Dunbar, who converted to cornerback in the NFL after playing receiver at Florida, in March.