Dan Mullen
Dan Mullen

Florida coach Dan Mullen made his first appearance of the spring since National Signing Day in February on Monday alongside a handful of players. Mullen discussed a wide range of topics, but here are three takeaways:

Mullen frustrated with NCAA’s mulling over transfer rules

It seems as if every college football coach has a take on the NCAA’s current transfer rules.

But all Mullen is looking for is some consistency, and he made that very clear on Monday.

“Hopefully they just really define that stuff cleaner,” Mullen said. “I just think it’d be much cleaner for everybody if there was consistency in the rule.”

Mullen’s transfer history during his short time in Gainesville is immense. Wide receivers Van Jefferson (Ole Miss) and Trevon Grimes (Ohio State) both received waivers to play immediately. On the other hand, former Georgia linebacker Brenton Cox transferred to Florida and could only watch as his new team lost to his old one in Jacksonville last season.

With incoming transfers running back Lorenzo Lingard (Miami) and wide receiver Justin Shorter (Penn State) both waiting on waivers in order to play in 2020, the NCAA’s baffling transfer process will continue to be a factor for the Gators.

The Tim Brewster Effect

Tight ends coach Tim Brewster joined the Gators last month following Larry Scott’s departure to become the head coach at Howard University. Brewster, known for his recruiting prowess at his previous stops at Texas A&M, Florida State and North Carolina, seemed like a good fit for a program that had done a tremendous job with the X’s and O’s but struggled with the Jimmy’s and Joe’s compared to its rivals. He had also worked with Mullen previously at Mississippi State as a wide receivers coach.

Brewster has already added two tight ends to Florida’s 2021 class, which sits second in the nation due to its 14 commits. Tampa native Gage Wilcox, a four-star recruit, committed to the Gators just 22 days after Brewster took the job at Florida. Nick Elksnis, a three-star from Jacksonville, committed on Saturday.

“Coach Brewster is a high-energy guy,” tight end Kyle Pitts said. “We’re just soaking in knowledge that he’s bringing and just adding to what Coach Scott already instilled in our minds.”

Mullen said, “I don’t think he’s ever walked into a room and not left with more friends than he walked into. And I think in recruiting that certainly helps, that kind of personality that he has.”

Defense looking for leaders

Most of what Florida has to replace on the roster because of the draft and graduation is on the defensive side of the ball. The Gators’ defense is losing its leaders in tackles (linebacker David Reese) and sacks (defensive lineman Jonathan Greenard) as well as defensive lineman Jabari Zuniga, who made a significant impact when he wasn’t hampered by injuries last season.

Mullen said that he’s looking at players like linebackers Ventrell Miller, James Houston IV and Mohamoud Diabate to replace Reese, who also served as the defense’s captain last season.

Cornerback Marco Wilson noted that the team’s leadership has mostly come from the older members of the team.

“It’s usually the older guys but there are definitely some guys like Kaiir (Elam) that are looked at as a leader,” Wilson said. “Anyone that does the right things on and off the field, if you just speak up and voice your opinion, people are going to listen because we all respect each other.”

Follow Brendan on Twitter @Bfarrell727 and contact him at bfarrell@alligator.org.