Feleipe Franks
Feleipe Franks

Gators quarterback Feleipe Franks is leaving the football team, the redshirt junior announced on his Instagram page Sunday afternoon.

“It has been my dream to play at the University of Florida,” the post said. “I have been so fortunate to meet as many amazing people as I have while being here. Coaches, players, and fans as well.”

Franks said that he will “explore his options” regarding the NFL Draft or landing at another school as a graduate transfer with immediate eligibility. 

The passer joined the program in spring 2016 as a four-star recruit and the No. 5 pro-style quarterback in the nation according to the 247Sports composite. Franks redshirted his first season and was a two-year starter from 2017-18.

He began the 2019 season as Florida’s starting quarterback, throwing for 698 yards, five touchdowns and three picks before he suffered a season-ending ankle injury against Kentucky on Sept. 14.

His best year came last season, when he threw for 2,457 yards, 31 total touchdowns (24 through the air and seven on the ground) and only six interceptions. He led the Gators to a 41-15 Peach Bowl win over Michigan last December.

Follow Tyler Nettuno on Twitter @TylerNettuno. Contact him at tnettuno@alligator.org