<p>Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham on the sideline during the Orange Bowl last year. During Monday's presser, Grantham shared his two-pronged defensive philosophy.</p>

Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham on the sideline during the Orange Bowl last year. During Monday's presser, Grantham shared his two-pronged defensive philosophy.

Gators defensive coordinator Todd Grantham said that his defense is built on two things: stopping the run and making the quarterback play badly. 

As the Gators approach their Week 1 matchup with Ole Miss on Sept. 26, they’re starting to get a better idea of how they’re going to accomplish both objectives. 

“We always go back to a pretty simple philosophy of, ‘If we don’t let them run the ball and we find ways to make the quarterback play bad, we have a chance to be in the game,’” Grantham said. “It’s really about just executing the call and being where you’re supposed to be, and that’s what the guys have done a good job of throughout our career here.”

To complete the first half of Grantham’s philosophy, Florida will have to successfully replace run-stuffing linebacker David Reese, who graduated after collecting over 300 tackles across four seasons in Gainesville. Grantham said linebacker Ventrell Miller’s play and his leadership thus far are impressive. 

“I’m embracing the role, doing everything I can to not only get myself prepared, but my teammates as well,” Miller said. 

The other half of Grantham’s game plan comes through the secondary. Cornerback Marco Wilson will likely be slated to fill in for departed cornerback C.J. Henderson, and Grantham said Wilson is one of the most versatile cornerbacks he’s ever coached because of his ability to play on the outside or in the slot. Wilson said that he played STAR last year because that’s where the team needed him to play. 

“I’m just ready to play wherever my team needs me,” Wilson said.

In the safety group, one of  Florida’s weaknesses last season, Grantham said that veterans Donovan Stiner and Shawn Davis are the most impressive thus far. 

“I’ve been real pleased with Stiner and the way he’s kind of moved forward,” Grantham said. “Obviously, Shawn is a guy who can flash, too. Those guys have done a really good job.”

Grantham repeatedly mentioned how versatility will be a significant factor for the Gators, whether it’s to create better matchups on the field or to replace players who are out due to COVID-19. The coaching staff has been cross-training “a lot of guys” to play multiple positions.

“This is an unknown thing about who might be available each week,” Grantham said. “I think you're going to take the next step as far as cross-training guys so they can play multiple positions. That gives you flexibility week to week so that you can put your best 11 guys out there.”

Contact Brendan Farrell at bfarrell@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Bfarrell727.