Greenard

It may have come later than some expected, but former Florida defensive end Jonathan Greenard finally heard his name called when he was selected by the Houston Texans with the 90th pick in the third round of the NFL Draft.

His selection came after that of his teammate and counterpart on the defensive line Jabari Zuniga, who, despite an injury-plagued 2019 season, was selected by the New York Jets with the 79th pick.

Greenard is a bit of a low-ceiling, high-floor player. He lacks the elite first step that gets players drafted on Day 1, but he does possess strong snap anticipation skills. He also has a lengthy 6-foot-3 frame that allows him to wreak havoc when he manages to get into the backfield.

Despite being praised by many as a high-intelligence player, injury concerns hurt his draft stock.

Greenard missed nearly the entire 2018 season after suffering a wrist injury in the opener while at Louisville, and he played with it heavily wrapped in 2019, appearing hesitant at times to use it.

Still, if his wrist is in good shape moving forward, he possesses many of the traits conducive to developing into an NFL starter. And on a Texans team looking for a pass-rushing boost after trading Jadaveon Clowney to the Seattle Seahawks last season, he could see significant playing time immediately.

Follow Tyler Nettuno on Twitter @Tylernettuno. Contact him at [email protected].

Tyler Nettuno is a sports writer for the Alligator and covers the UF men's basketball team and football team. He is a former sports editor at the paper and also covers Florida sports for Gators Wire of the USA Today Sports Network.