Viewers have waited 14 years. For those of us in college, “The Incredibles” first came into our life during an impressionable time. Some of us first met the Incredibles when we were less than 10 years old. The movie has played on cable networks countless times. The Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl McDonald’s toys may even be burned into our brains. But if you think you are too old for “Incredibles 2,” you’re wrong. With giggle-inducing comedy and jaw-dropping animation, “Incredibles 2” needs to be seen by all ages.

“Incredibles 2” picks up one or two minutes after the last movie ends. The Parr family has not aged, and they still must hide their powers and true identities. Unlike the first movie, “Incredibles 2” focuses more on the Parr children (Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack) and Elastigirl (aka Helen Parr). Mr. Incredible takes on the role of stay-at-home dad while Elastigirl starts a new superhero-related job. With Elastigirl fighting off a new villain, the Screenslaver, Mr. Incredible struggles with his newfound responsibility of parenting three kids with budding powers.

Audiences get to know Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack during a trying time where superheroes are illegal, and their home life is being tested. While also being action-filled, the movie’s plot allows viewers to witness more depth in each character.

The seamless writing blends action, comedy and character development that is unrealized until after viewers have left the theater. Thanks to the movie’s director and writer, Brad Bird, the movie script never feels forced. Especially with a sequel, overkill comes easier. However, that is not the case with “Incredibles 2.” Although it is a children’s movie, this follow-up film manages to hold the attention of viewers of any age.

The fear with most sequels is that they do no justice to the original. Sequels are almost never as good as their predecessor. “Incredibles 2” succeeded the first. Of course, the first movie is awesome, but the second installment gives the viewers more of what they want while also adding new character interactions (i.e., Edna and Jack-Jack) and a more direct villain.

The plot and overall message allow room for interpretation. Seeing this movie with friends may lead to an after-screening discussion on politics or the philosophy behind the film. The sequel may follow the same formula as the original, but Bird strategically uses it so viewers moderately know what to expect.

Pixar sets the bar high with its visual standards. There is no debate whether Pixar movies are visually stunning. Even the architecture and interior design of the buildings in “Incredibles 2” are something to gawk at. These details might be something younger viewers miss, but adults will  appreciate it. The artistic aspects of the movie add another element that entertains the audience. “Incredibles 2” succeeds by creating a movie both children and their parents equally enjoy.

The people at Pixar know how to captivate audiences. “Incredibles 2” flows from the original in a way that satisfies what viewers have been anticipating. The jokes, the animation, the characters — they all mix together to create an enchanting experience that makes paying more than $11 for a movie ticket and waiting 14 years for a sequel worth it.