• November 28, 2014

Five fashion books for the smart and stylish

Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 1:30 am

Can you recall the last time you picked up a book for pleasure? Reading books is not common in today’s world, which is a shame because it is one of the basic ways to learn and truly grasp concepts.

Most fashionistas buy books because they make great decorations and give the impression that they are cultured, but they never actually bother to look at the content.

Here are some pieces of fashion literature and photography that are entertaining, educational and make great make great coffee table books.

1. “Classy” by Derek Blasberg

Derek Blasberg

This collection of essays is hilarious, interesting and comes from a source that is well acquainted with fabulousness. “Classy” outlines the rules of being a fashionable lady: how to act when you are a guest, the basics of packing quality clothing when traveling, why women should be educated and why you shouldn’t take or send naked pictures. You know, the little things women in today’s world forget. The book also includes cute, funny graphics that depict what he’s talking about and pictures comparing what a classy girl would do versus what a tramp would do in certain situations. Available for $9 on Amazon

2. “Vogue: The Covers” by Dodie Kazanjian and Hamish Bowles

Vogue

You do not know what Vogue is until you have seen the very first issues. The ladies of the 19th century knew how to rock those petticoats. Indulge in this beautiful publishing on a lazy afternoon, and see how trends changed through out the years and how many times Cindy Crawfold and Giselle Bunchen have been on the cover. The book shows you everything from ground-breaking styles in photography, to women wearing pants on a magazine cover (it was a big deal), to Anna Wintour’s first cover. It’s a valuable history book and it makes a great gift for your Fashionista friend. Usually sold for $50, right now it’s going for $25 at Barnes and Noble

3. “Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson” by Lady Gaga and Terry Richardson

Lady Gaga and Terry Richardson

Renowned photographer and provocateur Richardson captures Mother Monster in some of her most intimate moments on the Monster Ball Tour. He’s everywhere with her: backstage at the shows while she changes costumes, after she finishes a performance and cries tears of joy, and during intense yoga sessions where she drips in sweat. Richardson gives us a close-up of Gaga’s most famous costumes, makeup and hairstyles. She puts on the show that is her life and he captures it all. Hint: Although it sells for $50, some bookstores have it on sale for less than $15.

4. “Lessons from Madame Chic” by Jennifer L. Scott

Lessons from Madame Chic

Follow Scott on her trip abroad to Paris as the woman who host’s her visit, Madame Chic, teaches her the Parisian ways of how to eat right, dress well and take care of herself. There are simple lessons like how it’s unhealthy for your skin when you share soup with others, and how you should always try to look your best even when you are in you pajamas. It’s a feel-good book for the sophisticated girl and an introduction to the simple, luxurious Parisian lifestyle. Get it for $14 on Amazon

5. “The Sartorialist: Closer” by Scott Schuman

The Sartorialist: Closer

If you love the blog and you’re a street style fanatic, then you will love this deeper look into Shuman’s previous book “The Sartorialist.” He travels around the world and photographs fashionable women and stylish men who stand out not only because of their exclusive pieces, but also because of how they wear their clothing with confidence. The best part is that these are real people with no stylists who actually dress like this all the time. It’s a source of inspiration for when you want to hit the streets looking ferocious. Start styling with the women’s or men’s cover on their website

The Lineup

Contact Blogs Editor Cara Chiaramonte at cchiaramonte@alligator.org.

Monday

• Freshmen Ask, Seniors Answer: The Baby Gators' guide to their first year as a part of the Gator Nation. Submit questions at: bit.ly/1wplkli.
  • For Your Entertainment: Your source for all things entertainment three days a week, from music, film and television reviews to how to survive music festivals.
  • The Professional Gator: Advice on how to make it in the real world as a young professional.

Tuesday

• Gainesvillista: The latest in fashion for men and women, combined with beauty tips for looking your best.
  • When Life Gives You Lemons: Tips to guide you through the ups and downs in the journey of life. 

Wednesday

• Now That's Justice: A unique take on social issues of every kind — from women's rights to racial issues to LGBT affairs.

Thursday

• Swamp of Love: A look at relationships and dating in Gainesville and advice on how to deal.

Friday

• The Chomp: Restaurant reviews, food news and features written by the hungry blogger for the ravenous reader.
  • UFitness: The latest in fitness and wellness trends from tips on how to get through that detox to the newest fitness craze.