Dr. Michael Good named interim dean of UF's College of Medicine

Dr. Michael L. Good was named the College of Medicine's interim dean Friday afternoon by UF officials.

Good was appointed acting dean after Dr. Bruce Kone was demoted by UF President Bernie Machen and Dr. Doug Barrett, UF senior vice president for health affairs, on May 22.

Barrett appointed Good, an anesthesiology professor, to interim dean after meetings with the college's faculty members and Machen, according to a Friday news release from UF's Health Science Center.

"Mike is a proven leader who enjoys the respect and support of the faculty, and that was evident as I talked to many, many people over the last two weeks," Barrett said in the release. "While he certainly has the experience to take on this assignment, he also has a personal management style that people respond to positively."

Good, who has been at UF for 20 years, is also senior associate dean for clinical affairs and chief of the Shands at UF medical staff.

Now that he is interim dean, Good's main task is to fill open chair positions and search for associate dean positions for the college's education and research programs, states the release.

"I look forward to working with the college's exceptional group of department chairs to ensure that our faculty and staff are supported in their work," Good said in the release.