<p>Shane Michael Hanney</p>

Shane Michael Hanney

A former president of the Theta Chi Fraternity’s UF chapter was arrested early Friday morning for drunkenly driving his scooter on campus, University Police said.

At about 2:30 a.m. Friday, police saw Shane Michael Hanney weaving within his lane on a blue scooter while driving on Southwest Second Avenue near the O’Connell Center, according to a UPD arrest report.

Hanney, a 21-year-old UF civil engineering senior, turned onto West Fraternity Drive and continued weaving in his lane before he stopped about 3 feet past a stop sign, according to the report.

Police pulled Hanney over, smelled a strong odor of alcohol and noticed his eyes were red. According to the report, when they asked him where he had been earlier that night, Hanney replied, “Midtown.”

According to the report, after two tests, Hanney’s blood alcohol levels were .226 and .239 — both almost three times the legal limit of .08.

At about 4:40 a.m., Hanney was booked in the Alachua County Jail, where he was released Friday afternoon on his own recognizance. Hanney faces a DUI charge and has an arraignment set for Aug. 17, according to Alachua County court records.  

Hanney said he served as the president for UF’s Theta Chi last year. He declined to comment on the incident.

UF Theta Chi is listed as one of 26 chapters within UF’s Interfraternity Council.  

Shane Michael Hanney