It’s great UF — and that’s mostly thanks to generous donations.

This morning, the UF Alumni Association is hosting Grateful Gator Day on the Plaza of the Americas. Students will say "thank you" to about 30,000 UF donors with video recordings, handwritten notes and selfies, said Christine Velasquez, the associate director of development communications for the UF Office of Development and Alumni Affairs.

"Giving back has always been a UF tradition," she said. "This event is a great opportunity for students to learn how much private giving truly impacts their UF experience."

Last year, the UAA collected $315 million from UF alumni and Gator fans, Velasquez said.

Tien Weber, a UF environmental science sophomore, said she’s looking forward to meeting some of the donors in attendance because she recently received a study-abroad scholarship, which was funded by a UF graduate.

"I guess it’s just good to see the alumni out there because that shows you the opportunities you have," the 19-year-old said.

Even though UF alumna Mary Lane won’t be able to attend and meet students like Weber, she said she’s looking forward to receiving a thank you for her donations.

Lane, now a Seminole County Public Schools education specialist, said she hopes students will realize the importance of giving.

"You get to a point in your life where you’ve got to give to others," Lane said.

The event begins at 10 a.m. and ends at 2 p.m.