<p>Benny Benassi plays at the Florida Theatre on July 12. UF was ranked No. 9 best party school in the nation by "The Best 376 Colleges: 2012 Edition" of the Princeton Review Annual College Ranking.</p>

Benny Benassi plays at the Florida Theatre on July 12. UF was ranked No. 9 best party school in the nation by "The Best 376 Colleges: 2012 Edition" of the Princeton Review Annual College Ranking.

UF took a dive in rankings that will simultaneously please administrators and leave students disgusted.

On Monday, the Princeton Review Annual College Ranking was released in "The Best 376 Colleges: 2012 Edition," ranking UF at No. 9 on a list of the nation's top 20 party schools.

In 2008, UF was named the No. 1 party school in the nation by the Princeton Review College Ranking. Two years later, it dropped to No. 7. Now, in the 2012 edition, UF is halfway down the list at No. 9, with rival school FSU rising to the No. 8 spot.

But this is one win UF administration is willing to let them have.

Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students Jen Day Shaw said she took the drop as good news because she believes UF students are smart, hardworking students who should be recognized for their accomplishments.

"We are proud of our students for a whole bunch of things: their academics, their community services," she said. "We get frustrated when we are listed for something like partying. There are too many great things that you all do that don't get recognized."

According to GatorWell's Student Health Surveys, about 10 percent of UF students have never consumed alcohol, and 70 percent testified to consuming fewer than four drinks while socializing.

Shaw pointed out that while UF students estimated 55.5 percent of the student population to be habitual party-goers, only 32 percent of students answered that they consume five or more drinks in a social setting, or engaging in "risky behavior."

Though the ranking is based on students' opinions expressed in surveys, Shaw said UF has actually seen numerical decreases in alcohol-related issues in recent years.

Five years ago, UF President Bernie Machen instituted the UF Community Alcohol Coalition, and since then, every rate that UF tracks - DUI rates, alcohol related conduct violations and transports to the hospital for alcohol - has gone down. She said she also believes the recent Medical Amnesty policy, which allows intoxicated individuals and the person who sought out medical assistance to go unpunished, has encouraged students to be more responsible and make good choices.

"It's supposed to act as a reward for those students who take responsibility and make the right decision in those situations," she said.

UF's dying party reputation is accompanied by top marks in other categories.

The Gators took the No. 1 spot in the nation's top 20 jock schools, praised for its "stadium packing," and ranked No. 1 in its Career Services.

Heather White, interim director of UF's Career Resource Center, said she believes the recognition is a direct reflection of the center's outstanding staff. For three consecutive years the review has ranked UF's CRC among the top five in the nation.

She said the center strives to help students connect and network with employers.

"Our staff is very student-centered and dedicated to helping students in whatever field they're in," she said. "We couldn't be happier that the students feel the way they do, and we hope to continue our services."