UF celebrates five smokeless years as tobacco-free campus

UF has been a tobacco-free campus for five years.

In honor of the anniversary, the UF Tobacco-Free Task Force is sending out reminders of UF’s tobacco-free policy and promoting free cessation services to anyone who wants to quit.

The policy bans the use of cigarettes and other tobacco products everywhere on campus, including parking lots and vehicles.

Jane Emmeree, a co-chairwoman of UF Tobacco-Free Task Force, said the policy is important for creating a healthy environment.

“Someone who is walking around on campus who chooses not to smoke cigarettes really doesn’t appreciate having secondhand smoke blown in their face,” she said.

On Tuesday, the UF Tobacco-Free Task Force set up tables in the Gator Corner Dining Center, at the Shands at UF Atrium and on the Plaza of the Americas.

The tables offered information for people who wanted to quit smoking and for those who might know someone who smokes. It also advertised free counseling for students, faculty, staff and Shands at UF’s patients and families.

This year’s slogan is “Gators don’t chew. They chomp!” Created by students, it is a way to remind people all types of tobacco are prohibited on campus.

Kathy Nichols, a co-chairwoman of UF Tobacco-Free Task Force, said it is a joint effort to make sure this policy is imposed and UF remains a healthy place to work and learn.

“We are all responsible to support the policy by asking people to put out and dispose of any cigarettes or any type of tobacco that’s on campus,” she said.