Aziz Ansari to headline 2010 Gator Growl

Up-and-coming comedic star Aziz Ansari, famous for his work with sketch group Human Giant and recent NBC hit "Parks and Recreation," will be coming to rock the socks off of Gainesville as the headliner of this year's Gator Growl on Oct. 15.

The Kanye West-impersonating, food-loving funny man is getting paid $100,000 to perform his stand-up for The Gator Nation.

The routine is sure to please everyone, said Bryan Griffin, spokesman for this year's Gator Growl.

"We chose Aziz because he kind of represents the dynamic type of show we're trying to do this year," Griffin said. "We're hoping he can help establish the show with the whole celebration-type theme."

Celebration is the name of the game this year, Griffin said, adding that he and his team are working hard to make sure this year's Growl is better than the last few. It should be fun for everyone, he said.

"This show is going to be completely dynamic from beginning to end," Griffin said, "no lulls, no parts people will miss ... a giant celebration."

For one thing, the show has become more interactive. Students and alumni who want a chance to be a part of the show are encouraged to submit video skits at www.gatorgrowl.org as part of the Growl Minute of Fame competition.

According to the website, submissions should not be more than a minute long, should be family-friendly and sent in by 5 p.m. on Sept. 20.

The best three from students and the best three from alumni will be chosen by the event committee, then posted to the website to be voted on by everyone, Griffin said.

The night of the show, the first place videos from both groups will be shown, and attendees will be asked to text in votes for their favorite submission. The winner of the contest will be declared live.

There's also a contest asking for submissions of photos from Gator sporting events. The contest winner will be printed on the front page of the Gator Growl 2010 program, according to the website.

Tickets for the event are $15 for students and $25 for general-admission tickets, but Griffin advises people to purchase tickets early because all prices go up $5 the week of the show.

Griffin said for the price, you can't beat the entertainment you're sure to receive.

"This year is kind of a looking-forward type thing because we've got a new line-up for football and a lot of things to be grateful for as a Gator," Griffin said.