Justin Timberlake could be bringing his suit and tie all the way to UF next month — if  the Men’s Basketball Rowdies have its way.

The group announced plans Friday to invite Timberlake to come to UF to sing “The Star-Spangled Banner” at the basketball game against the Kentucky Wildcats on March 8.

The Rowdies have chosen to use the collective power of UF students’ social media to entice the singer to the Swamp.

They are asking students to use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other social media sites to spread the word about the campaign.

Some prominent social media pages, including official UF accounts, have expressed their support of the movement.  

Lucas Dolengowski, president of the Rowdies and a 21-year-old UF telecommunication junior, said he wants this event to be as much fun as possible. 

Some of the ideas he suggested were student-submitted pictures and videos at memorable campus locations with reasons why students love Timberlake. 

The idea originally came from the University Athletic Association, Dolengowski said. But the UAA wanted the campaign to be run by students.

“We really want to increase the Florida brand, really get our name out there more than it already is,” he said. “You can never have too much of a presence.”

The nationally televised game against Kentucky also falls on Senior Day, when UF will be honoring the four seniors on the basketball team. Dolengowski said that’s what makes this game more important than the others.

The second leg of Timberlake’s “The 20/20 Experience World Tour” ends in Miami on March 5 and does not begin again until a few weeks later, giving Timberlake ample opportunity to come to UF, according to a press release from the Rowdies.

Students welcome the idea of potentially hearing the pop icon perform in front of thousands of Gators.

Wesley Ladson, a 21-year-old UF sports management junior, said Timberlake was a good choice because of his popularity in both sports and music.

“I think it definitely could (be big), with as many Gator fans as there are,” Ladson said.

UF computer science senior Ian Cuba, 21, said the opportunity to see such an incredible singer in person would be a great way to end senior year.

“If he said he was coming, I’d be on the sign-up site two days early to make sure I could see him perform,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 2/3/2014 under the headline "UF groups invite Justin Timberlake to bring SexyBack to campus"]