<p>Steve Middleton mans UPD’s front desk Wednesday afternoon. Students who live on campus and own guns are required to turn in their firearms at the desk before moving in.</p>

Steve Middleton mans UPD’s front desk Wednesday afternoon. Students who live on campus and own guns are required to turn in their firearms at the desk before moving in.

When Alexis Bargamin returned to her room in the Keys Residential Complex in January, she brought her clothes, books — and gun.

After learning about University Police’s gun storage program, the 20-year-old business administration junior could now bring her competition pistol and leave it in UPD’s hands.

UPD encourages students living on campus to bring any unloaded firearms for check-in at the University Police building, said police spokesman Maj. Brad Barber.

The program is free, has been around for several years and is advertised by word of mouth.

Florida statutes currently do not permit licensed holders to carry a weapon on any school campus anywhere within the state.

Police check the weapon for damage and give the student a receipt for pickup.

To pick up a gun, students bring their receipts, and their guns are carried out to them by an officer. Afterward, they are advised to leave campus with their firearm.

Barber said about 30 to 40 registered guns of all kinds are stored in the back of UPD’s Patrol Division Building.

“Our preference is that no one brings firearms on campus,” he said.

Bargamin, who received her gun as a gift from her dad at 18, knew she wasn’t permitted to bring her gun with her to UF. But when she joined the UF Practical Pistol team this Spring, she called UPD to ask how she could bring her gun to campus.

“It took me a while to figure out the process to have a gun, because I’m not going to jail,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 8/23/2013 under the headline "Free University Police gun storage program for students on target"