Despite expectations, tickets for the Florida-Georgia football game did not sell out Wednesday evening.

As of Thursday afternoon, 500 of the 5,500 student tickets were still available, said Mark Gajda, the assistant athletics director for ticket operations.

"It's much slower this year," Gajda said.

Tickets for the Florida-Georgia game, considered one of the season's biggest rivalries and most popular games, usually sell out on the day they go on sale, Gajda said.

The slower ticket sale may be attributed to a sluggish economy and students' apprehension to travel because of relatively high gas prices, Gajda said.

The time, date and location of the game have not changed from last fall. The game will be in Jacksonville on Oct. 29 at 3:30 p.m. and will be broadcast live on CBS. Tickets for students cost $40 and can be bought online through gatorzone.com.

The Gators ticket office used Facebook and Twitter as part of an aggressive marketing campaign to encourage students to attend.

Bianca Cassouto, a 19-year-old geography sophomore, expected tickets to sell out fast Wednesday, but she bought her ticket easily.

Cassouto, who attended the game last year, plans to drive with four friends to Jacksonville on that Saturday and return Sunday.

"Everyone was doubting the Gators, and winning in overtime was one of the most exciting moments I've ever been through," Cassouto said. "I hope the game will be a lot of fun."

Lyndsay Wolfe, a 20-year-old zoology sophomore from Jacksonville, was afraid tickets would sell out.

"It's the biggest tailgate party of the year," she said.

Wolfe, who has attended the game before, said it's one of her favorite days of the year.

"If you're a Gator, and you haven't gone, you're missing out," Wolfe said.

Students can purchase tickets until Friday, and if any tickets are left by 5 p.m., the ticket office will close the sale and regroup to figure out the best way to sell any remaining tickets.

Students who have purchased tickets for the game will be able to pick up their tickets during the week of Oct. 29. Further details will be emailed to students after the ticket sale ends.